Anonymous is known for its distinctive visual symbol, the Guy Fawkes mask, which is often associated with the group’s actions. They have been involved in a wide range of activities over the years, including:
- Protests and Demonstrations: Anonymous has organized and participated in various online and offline protests against issues such as government censorship, surveillance, and human rights abuses. They often use social media and websites to spread their message and coordinate actions.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Attacks: Anonymous has carried out DDoS attacks against websites and online services of organizations and governments they view as oppressive or corrupt. These attacks involve overwhelming a target’s servers with traffic, causing temporary disruption.
- Data Leaks and Hacks: Anonymous has hacked into websites and databases to expose information they believe should be made public. They have leaked documents, emails, and other data from organizations and individuals they consider unethical or corrupt.
- Supporting Movements: Anonymous has supported various social and political movements around the world, including the Arab Spring and Occupy Wall Street, by spreading information and participating in online campaigns.
- Advocating for Internet Freedom: The group has been vocal in advocating for an open and free internet, opposing censorship and surveillance by governments and corporations.
- Fighting Against Extremism: At times, Anonymous has targeted online forums and social media accounts associated with extremist groups and individuals, aiming to disrupt their activities.